Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Why do you pray?

Why do you pray? I wasn't expecting to get the answer to this question as I met with another group of people from our church to hear what they have learned about prayer.

When I heard the following I thought, "Wow, I want that too!"

"My prayer life is like a love relationship with Jesus. You spend time with those you love. I want to be consistent because I want to know him as I know friends on the earth."

It was said simply and directly. It caught me by suprise. It made me think of James 3:23.

"...and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, 'And Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness,' and he was called the friend of God."

I want to pray. I want to be a friend of God. Why do you pray?

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Neil, this is great! I'm so glad I get to see what's going on back there in this way. Welcome to the blogosphere!

We are learning (re-learning?) here that prayer is so critical to both the life of the individual and the life of the church. What I'm coming to in my own prayer life right now is that I simply desire to be in the presence of my King, to feel His arms around me, to thank Him for His grace. When I do this consistently, i'm amazed at the response of my heart to challenging situations.

Anonymous said...

I pray because when I do I belive all His words are true. I have been taught that prayer is to be a work of The Holy Spirit in me. When I am still it allows the Spirit in me to speak out the prayers that I do not even know are in me and my faith is increased. When I pray, I believe that He is not just listening but also directing my heart. More faith, more peace, my rest in God.