Thursday, November 16, 2006

Why I need to pray with others.

Yesterday at 4:00pm I met with another group to learn about prayer and to pray. This was an all men's group. I was tired. I was distracted. I was discouraged. Over the course of the last two weeks, I had been short on sleep. I had been a part of several difficult conversations. I had received criticisms on several fronts.

All of the men said similar things about prayer--things like focus, quiets my soul from performance mode, relinquishment. One guy said of his motivation in prayer, "I must do something to quiet down so I can observe what is going on around me... so I can get out of these earth thoughts."

We took time to pray for the city, the church and each other. We each prayed for one other person in the group. Joe prayed for me last. As he began to pray everyone stood up and laid their hands on me. It wasn't planned. They didn't know what I was going through. My tears began to fall. I needed their help to get me out of my "earth thoughts". (James 5:13-19)

The rest of the evening I expereinced some of the peace I have heard others talk about the last two weeks. I desperately need others to pray with me. Do you?

May God give you a couple of friends to join you in a conversation with Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I spent some time on Sunday morning going through a prayer journal I've been using this year. As I read through some of the things I have asked God to do in my heart and life over the past few months I encountered many things that have been answered.

As I went to worship on Sunday morning I was encouraged and mindful of my King who watches over the words that pass between us.