Monday, November 16, 2009

What is the Father’s heart toward me?

John 8:19 If you knew Me, you would know my Father also.
John 14:7 If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.


I have felt some sadness lately as I have talked with many Bible believing, long time church going, good people. Over and over I hear things like, “I rarely if ever pray, read my Bible, or sit quietly with God.”

I think one huge reason for this is that we are busy entertaining ourselves to death and gorging ourselves at the table of the world. However, as I have talked with people I realize that many struggle with something I have struggled with. The struggle goes something like this, “I know Jesus loves me and want to be my friend. I know He has compassion on me. I’m just not sure God, the Father wants anything to do with me. And if He does, He probably just wants to correct me or make life harder than it already is.” Who wants to spend time with someone you think of in that way?

We all have lots of reasons for thinking these kinds of thoughts. No earthly father is perfect. I know I haven’t been perfect. I desperately want my own children to look beyond my faults and frailty to a Father in heaven who is completely holy. Some earthly fathers have done some awfully evil things. Yet God puts us in this position to deal with Him as Father. When Jesus says, If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also,” I am reminded of the Oneness of the Triune God. I am reminded that all the wonderful pictures of Jesus’ heart for people are a reflection of the Father’s heart. If you are wondering about the Father’s heart toward you, know this—the heart of Jesus is the heart of the Father.

Let’s Pray Together.
Holy Spirit, show me the Father’s heart. Help me to believe the abundance of direct statements in the scriptures about His loyal love. Father in heaven, holy is Your name, compassionate are Your ways. By faith, I will take time to spend with You and allow You to reshape my picture of You, me and our relationship. I want to know the fullness of joy that comes in Your presence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Neil,
Just now reading this blog and can totally relate. I desire to know Him more intimately as He is the only One who can fill all voids. Yet, I keep seeking else where; for the temporal. It is Sun. 11/29. I loved the service today and was brought to tears by the song that you shared. Who is it by? I would love to hear it again and share it with others.

I am finding myself wanting answers to questions known and unknown with unmet satisfaction. There are so few in the church that are walking closely with the Lord that there is almost no one to turn to. It is nice when the Lord allows connections with those few that have the depth and longing for Him; when you know you are on the same page with someone and they get you.

Thankful to Him,
Amen