Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas. Longing for Jesus to show up again.

Christmas. Longings ignored awaken. Hope dashed arise. Expectations for better reluctantly return. Unexpectedly, disappointment deepens.

It’s 5:45a.m. Christmas morning. I woke up at 4 and couldn’t get back to sleep so I got up an hour ago and worked on finishing a book I received for Christmas. I will be plenty tired later as the Tomba’s stayed up past midnight watching “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

I wrote this poem. It doesn’t sound like it goes with “It’s a Wonderful Life.” I think it is the only poem I have ever written and actually talked about publicly. I think I have written one other poem. I suggested putting this poem on our Christmas card. Vela just couldn’t go with it. I laugh thinking about people opening our card and saying, “’that’s really weird.” I read this poem three out four Sundays during advent as I preached. I like it. Honestly, it sounds like something I have heard before.

I still like it. It’s the story of many of my Christmases and the story of many Christmases of friends over the years. It helped me explain how at Christmas everybody convinces everybody else to get their hopes up. It helps me get in touch with how our longings rise to the surface. Its like we are all little kids working ourselves into a frenzy that not even the latest piece of technology can sustain even if we plugged it into our ear.

Side note: At our Christmas eve service, we had the children come to the front. I am talking 3-6 year olds. Maybe some were older. I asked the question, “What do you want for Christmas?” They all wanted iPhones. Wow, I am getting old. It kind of bummed me out. My poem was about to happen to me, when finally some kid said he wanted an AirSoft gun (kind of a modern day Red Rider BB gun). Hurray!

Anyway…I have had a really great Advent season. I have experienced some serious joy. It has been far from perfect. It has not been without disappointment. It has not been without pain. But, by the grace of God, I didn’t expect it to be perfect. My poem, the Spirit of Jesus, and some words from Solomon in Ecclesiastes kept me clear on this: Jesus made His first appearance because there is all kinds of garbage on this planet. Jesus died because things were horrible. Jesus rose and is coming again. I am longing for the second Advent where… Longings ignored will awaken. Hope dashed will arise. Expectations for better will gladly return…And I can’t think of a cool way to end this and turn this poem on its head so that I could put it in a book and make millions of dollars. So I will just give you one of my favorite verses (1John 3:2-3),

Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Jesus appears, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

Merry Christmas. Longing for Jesus to show up again.

P.S. It is still early. No one is awake around here which means no one edited this for me. I hope it makes sense.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THanks for your Christmas blog and your sincerity and honesty. The Christmas Eve service was wonderful. I really enjoyed having the kids in church and hope we will have them around more. It brings a family feel to worship. It was funny to hear what they asked for....like you, I missed the simpler toys and was personally glad to hear a girl wanting a dog.

For the most part Christmas has always been my favorite time of year. However as I have aged, I have experienced more issues, frustrations, and expectations dashed. So I really enjoyed your sermons about longing as my eyes have been opened that what I really long for is not all the most recent new toys, best gift or a perfect spouse, but Jesus' presence which can only be found in spending time with him. It has allowed me to let go of some of my expectations of myself and others while I rest in Him. It gives me so much more freedom and peace as I realize that nothing will fill me up or satisfy me except Jesus - understanding His Love for me and experiencing Him daily. Merry Christmas to you and your family!