Saturday, December 12, 2009

So that the Scripture might be fulfilled

“so that the Scripture might be fulfilled”

I found myself especially encouraged by these words in the last several days as I have been making my way through the book of John. This statement occurs in chapter 18 and three times in chapter 19 in reference to the details of Jesus’ death.

All the cruelty, all the gory details from start to finish were under the sovereign hand of the Father who loved His Son and who loves us. It was all predicted and promised beforehand. Do you see His love for you? And not only His love for you, but do you see His faithfulness towards you? What God says will come to pass. What God promises, He will perform. “God is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that He should change His mind; has He said it, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good (Numbers 23:19)? Even in the death of His Son, God was busy and faithful in keeping His promises. It is not a stretch to believe that even in the things that feel like death for us, God is keeping His promise to conform us to the image of His Son.

Let’s Pray Together
Father, by faith I consider it all joy as I face the things that feel like death in my life. You are a sovereign, faithful, all-powerful, and loving Father. I trust in You. I will endure. I believe You are making me like Jesus—mature, complete, lacking nothing. Help my unbelief. In Jesus Name.

No comments: