Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Reflections on Years Past

Ecclesiastes 7:10 Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” for it is not wise to ask such questions.

The third Sunday of Advent we talked about “Reflections on Years Past.” Think about how often we reflect on the past during the Christmas Season. I can hear my kids asking, “Dad, do you remember that time you brought home the giant tree that fell over after it was all decorated?”

In the verse above, Solomon addresses our tendency to look back on the past and improve upon it. I know this happens to me when my present isn’t going very well. I have also seen the opposite extreme. I can look back on past events and people and make them out to be worse than they really were. Solomon reminds us that wisdom is needed in reflecting on the past.

Here is a link to this week’s handout: http://media.northwestbible.org/?CFID=3660388&CFTOKEN=16569851.
This has both a consideration of the wisdom Solomon offers in reflecting on the past as well as some thoughts about Jesus in whom are all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Imagine this: in Jesus we get to see wisdom from God in even a greater way than Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived. I encouraged everyone to find somebody and look them in the eye and talk about these things. I especially asked fathers and grandfathers to do this with their children and grandchildren. Take some time to do some wise reflecting with someone this week.

Let’s Pray Together
Father, give us the courage to take time during these days to speak words of grace and truth to the people you have placed in our lives. Help us to not only speak about sports, weather, and the hottest gifts this Christmas. May we consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds.

No comments: