Thursday, February 04, 2010

Our thoughts of the future matter today


Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you…1 Peter 1:3–4

In recent years I have heard a focus on living for Christ today that downplays our future hope of heaven. I think this is one of our many evangelical pendulum swings. Peter reminds us that we bless God and rejoice greatly in the worst of days here on earth because of a future prize God has guaranteed for us in Jesus. This morning I was convicted as I read this passage because I don’t spend much time meditating on the awesome, wonderful, crazy, amazing future God has in store for me.

I know how to meditate on future things. Every time I plan a future trip to Colorado, it happens. I buy a topographical map of my destination area. I plan and re-plan daily hikes. I talk to friends who know more about the area than I do. I read trip reports on the internet. I gather all my information in a manila folder to take carry with me. When I am doing all this, I lose track of time. I forget about other things. My mind and heart get caught up in daydreaming. Sounds obsessive.

Peter writes to believers who have lost friends, homes, and families. He tells them they can be so captured by the future that they can sing, “Blessed be Your name.”

LET’S PRAY TOGETHER:
Lord, help me live today as one extremely thankful for every moment, every breath, every meal, every relationship, all the present challenges, every new adventure, the work I am privileged to engage in, the meetings I will attend, the fun I have living. Lord, help me to live with an eye to heaven, a mind that is filled with grand thoughts of greater things to come and a heart aware of my longing for home. Blessed be Your name.

P.S.
Take a few moments to meditate on what you know about your future in heaven as revealed in God’s word.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Neil, this thought has been on my mind a lot lately. Recently, a childhood friend of mine lost triplets when she was just 23 weeks pregnant, and through her blog I've seen her struggle with the grief as well as rejoice that she has a hope and future in heaven with her daughters. In my own life, Clark and I are having a third baby, and my beginning of pregnancy has not been easy. As with our other two pregnancies, I've been laid low with sickness these first few months. I have always found it hard to draw near to God during these times, and see His hand at work or rejoice for the new life He's giving us. However, this pregnancy, God has shown Himself to us mightily through His body - blessing us beyond words. Through these difficult life circumstances, God has reminded me that life is not easy, in fact it is hard. And He has made more real to me the knowledge, and oh, the HOPE, of what is come!

"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

There is also a song by Josh Wilson that has encouraged me tremendously. Here is a link to youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?vMniOtRnCO9I=

Can't wait to be back at church instead of home sick! God bless!
~Erin Morgan

Neil said...

Erin,
Thanks for your comment. Thanks for the simple reminder that since the fall, life is hard even in exciting times like having babies. I keep expecting it to be easy and comfortable. I want heaven on earth. Which Josh Wilson song were you referring to? Something is missing on the link.

Erin said...

Hey, sorry about the link! It's called "Before the Morning" I think its been on KLTY some recently.