Friday, February 26, 2010

Making friends to and from India: Boujar & Shokhurkh



The top picture is Boujar. We sat together on my flight from Dallas to Washington, D.C. on my way to India. Boujar is from Kosovo. He, his two uncles and brother own Luigi’s Italian restaurant in Rockwall. Tell him I sent you and he might charge you an extra 10%.

Boujar told me about the war in Kosovo. His family had to move from their home during the war. He could no longer attend his school. He used to go to school with other friends at a neighbor’s house.

I was again reminded of what a peaceful and safe life I have experienced here in the States. I was also impressed with Boujar’s thankfulness for the help his country received during the war and the opportunity he has had living in Rockwall, TX. Please pray for him as he visits his father who is ill.

The second picture is Shokhrukh (or Shawn). We sat together from D.C. to Frankfurt. He is an epidemiologist. He lives in Uzbekistan. He is like so many people I have met on international trips. When I asked him questions about his life and showed him some pictures of my life, he kindly invited me to visit him in Uzbekistan. He said we could go climb some mountains and do some fishing. He promised that if I came for one month he could show me the whole country. He also said I could bring one other person. Who wants to go?

Let’s Pray Together.
Father, thank You for the fun of traveling and maybe people from all over the world. Thank you for your common grace in things like warm houses and safety. Help us to be a thankful people as we consider not only your physical blessings but the help we have received in Christ.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neil: You are a wonderful person. Your recent posting was interesting as well as comforting to me in my current difficult time. I am not sue exactly why, but just reading about your meeting so many wonderful people while you travel, shows how caring and sharing of a person you. Your parents must be very happy about your avocation in life. I will always remember our days in Columbia and the soccer fields. Annette Kirson

Neil said...

Thank you Annette for your kind words.