Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What is your one sentence?

What is your one sentence?

However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace. Acts 20:24

“In 1962, Clare Boothe Luce, one of the first women to serve in the U.S. Congress, offered some advice to President John F. Kennedy. ‘A great man,’ she told him, ‘is one sentence.’ Abraham Lincoln’s one sentence was: he preserved the union and freed the slaves. Franklin Roosevelt’s one sentence was: he lifted us out of a great depression and helped us win a world war. Luce feared that Kennedy’s attention was so splintered among different priorities that his sentence risked becoming a muddled paragraph.”

I found this illustration from Daniel Pink's book entitled “Drive: The surprising truth about what motivates us.” I am not trying to sell Pink’s book, but I am continually amazed how the people of the world go after the things of the world with intense drive and unfailing motivation. And I am continually concerned about the church of Jesus Christ (especially in a city like Dallas) and my own lack of vigor in going after the things of God, especially when I read the accounts of the early church and Paul's missionary journeys in the book of Acts.

This past Sunday, I said that Acts 20:24 was a good capture of Paul’s “One Sentence”. It helps us understand how he went through all he did knowing that prisons and hardships were facing him everywhere he went. It helps us understand his courage, his purpose, and his motivation. To get a quick view of the things Paul suffered read 2 Corinthians 11:23-28. What is your one sentence or what do you want it to be? Let us know by putting it on my facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/NeilTomba

2 comments:

Jody said...

I want the Lord to use me however He will - inspite of myself.

Anonymous said...

Neil - I tried to put my sentence on your Facebook page as you suggested but could not as I don't have a facebook password etc. So am using this.

my one sentence is:

CURRENTLY....
I consider my life ..... precious, potentially delightful and fulfilling as I chase after Jesus, eagerly receiving healing and restoratiion and enjoying the blessings and privileges of royal priesthood.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE IT TO BE ....
I consider my life .... as not my own as I take up the responsibility of royal priesthood to embrace the pain and distress of people and nations and carry it, with them, to the Throne for God's intervention and that my delight would be not in my own pleasure and comfort but in seeing the life and light brought to people by His grace as He responds to prayer.

Well, I'm sorry that the sentences are not short and snappy! but they for real .... and I have been surprised.

God bless you
Rosemary Graidage