Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Are you like the disciples or Bartimaeus?

Mark 10:46 Then they came to Jericho. And as He was leaving Jericho with His disciples and a large crowd, a blind beggar named Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, was sitting by the road.

This Sunday we talked about one of the favorites. A simple story about a blind man, Bartimaeus, who begs for his eyes to be healed. Take a minute and read the story. Mark 10:46-52. Jesus, the greater wonder worker, heals him. End of story. Application-if you have eye troubles ask Jesus for healing. Simple enough. Maybe you can avoid Lasik surgery or be freed from the hassle of contacts.

Of course there is more here than meets the eye. In fact, Mark carefully develops this story so that we look at Bartimaeus and the disciples standing in contrast to one another. The disciples are pictured as those who have physical sight and are spiritually blind. Bartimaeus is pictured as someone who has spiritual sight although physically blind. We see this in his address to Jesus in calling him, “Son of David,” and asking for mercy. At the end of the story, Bartimaeus is no longer sitting on the side of the road but following Jesus to the cross.

Here’s one way I know I can be like the disciples even though I don’t like to admit it: my present self always looks at my past self and says, “How could you have been so stupid?” Example: Today as I look at myself when I was first married I realize I could have been a more loving husband—at least a little bit. The problem is I have said this every year of my marriage. The bigger problem is that I can vaguely remember Vela saying something last week about fixing a light switch as an act of love. I also vaguely remember that she might have already asked a couple times.

So what do we do? Does anybody reading this want to be like Bartimaeus? Anybody want to see Jesus more clearly and follow Jesus more freely? Since Bartimaeus is clearly the model of faith and discipleship, maybe we should do just what Bartimaeus did. Confess our unworthiness by saying, “Lord, have mercy on me.” Then, cry out, “Lord, open my eyes.

PRAYER:
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me. Open my eyes!

No comments: