Friday, September 11, 2009

A thought for all us perfectionists

In almost everything we do in life, we want a “do over.” We almost always think with another try we could do a little better. We could run a little faster, jump a little higher, love more fully, be a better parent, get a better deal, etc. Why is this? We know we are not perfect and we desire the possibility of it. Even those of us who are proud of our accomplishments keep going for more. Hussein Bolt still plans to run faster and break his own world records. We love to watch the pursuit of perfection. We ooh and ahh when we see the perfect car. We cheer when we watch a performance that is close to perfection.

Hebrews 10:14
because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

Jesus, in one act, dealt with the sins of the whole world. Unlike the sacrifices of the Old Testament, He didn’t need a “do over” year after year. If we really grasp this perfect performance we would do more than ooh and ahh or cheer for a moment. We would praise Him forever ever and ever. That’s what the book of Revelation tells us is happening because the Lamb who was slain is worthy. We can also give ourselves a break and rest in His finished work on our behalf. Jesus died for imperfect people.

Prayer and Praise.
Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise! To Him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, forever and ever!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree! I would like to "do" my entire life over. If only I had done something right I wouldn't be where I am today. Things would be easier, worry would be less, things left undone just wouldn't matter. The accomplishments I have aren't worthy of pride. They aren't even worth a second look. They really aren't. Yet I strive for perfection and like things to be done the way I want them done. So many people do things without care and I don't enjoy watching that happen. I am struggling with deciding whether to continue to serve, remain in bible study and have interaction of any kind. As the road becomes more and more narrow there are few people that are actually on the journey with me. I know Christ is with me, but for today that isn't offering any comfort. I want things to be very different and I want for Him to make things right that are wrong and for Him to take away all evil and sin. I want that today while I have to endure just another day. Eternity won't matter; it will be done and no chance for a "do over." Jesus please show up today in a way that won't be mistaken for anyone but You.