Saturday, September 26, 2009

AN UNSHAKEABLE KINGDOM


Hebrews 12:27 (NIV)The words “once more” indicate the removing of what can be shaken—that is, created things—so that what cannot be shaken may remain.

Check out this graph of the stockmarket. Stop and list at least five thoughts or feelings that come to you as you look at this before you read any further. What other events, relationships, disappointments or struggles give you the same thoughts or feelings? The author of Hebrews reminds us that everything on this earth can and will be shaken. Everything not bolted down to Jesus, the rock the doesn’t move, will be shaken. We live in a time when clearly things are being shaken—our money, security, health, centers of power, marriages, families, etc. How do we respond? Notice what the author of Hebrews goes on to say in the next two verses.

Hebrews 12:28-29 (NIV)Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our “God is a consuming fire.”

How do we respond? We give THANKS and we WORSHIP. Why? Because we are promised that moving into a world where nothing will be shaken and our God is a consuming fire. When was the last time you looked at the stock market going down, read bad news in the newspaper, had an awful day at work, etc. and you responded by giving thanks and worshiping God? I wish I could say that's my regular practice. The other night I challenged the elders to memorize verses28-29. Will you join with us?

PRAYER:
Father, in a world that seems to be spinning out of control I thank you that because of the perfect sacrifice of Jesus I am guaranteed to live in Your kingdom that cannot be shaken. Father I worship You as that which cannot be shaken. When I sense my world is being shaken remind to respond with thanksgiving and worship. To the best of my ability I anchor all of me to all of You.
HOW DO YOU NORMALLY RESPOND WHEN IT FEELS LIKE YOUR WORLD IS BEING SHAKEN?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When my world is being shaken I do not respond with praise and thanksgiving to the One who gave His life for all who believe in Him, accept His gift and cling to His promises. Instead, I respond with fear, anxiety, depression, sense of loss, worry, all the while feeling powerless. I quickly realize I have no power and no control! My flesh crawls and seeks to be satisfied with pleasure to deter from having to sit in my character defects I experience in fear and loss. My focus is on what I want and what I am running from instead of looking to my Savior giving Him thanks and praise; staying in gratitude for all He has done and will continue to do as I seek Him on a most intimate level. Thank You Jesus for turning to me as I turn to You. I long to be in Your House tomorrow morning. May we all feel anchored to You and Your Truth.

In Your Son's Holy Name,
Amen

Neil said...

Thanks for the honest response. I don't always realize in those "shaking" moments that I run to unhealthy behaviors because I am running from my fears. It sounds like a healthy spiritual discipline to sit and be aware of what is going on with me so that I can truly cast my cares on Jesus.