Monday, January 11, 2010

Faith-Believing Without Figuring Things Out

Lately I have sensed the LORD speaking to me on some pretty important areas of my life. Here’s one: faith.

I am the kind of person who likes to figure things out. I want to know how things work. I want to know what causes things. I want to be able to trace things to their source. Vela laughs at me constantly about this. I have asked her not to but she still does. Last Friday and Saturday my stomach was hurting. When it was really bothering me, I would say things like, “I think it was the fish I ate for lunch,” or “the salad I ate for diner,” or “the vitamins I have been taking.” Vela just kept rolling her eyes. I think one time, she said, “You drive me crazy.”

So how does this relate to faith?

I have noticed this need to figure things out can be a faith killer. I have noticed that in my time with the LORD when I come across a promise in scripture, my FIRST response is, “Okay, how does that work?” I immediately go into the mode of thinking theologically and biblically. Okay, God says this here…but how does that relate to other scriptures…and how does that relate to other big theological themes, etc. A good thing. However, not the best first response.

For example, Jesus says, “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish and it will be done for you.” I read this passage (Jn. 15:7) Monday, November 30. My normal first response is, “Okay, now I know James says you have not because you ask with wrong motives. My selfishness is pretty strong. Can I be sure I won’t be asking with wrong motives, even if I am remaining in Him? If I ask God to work supernaturally at Northwest Bible Church what will that look like? Do I need to be careful not to just look for the big stuff, etc?” Actually, these are healthy questions we all ask and need to ask at times. It’s just not the best first response.

The first response God is looking for is, “I believe! God, I believe Your promise. I will act on Your promise. I will pray according to Your promise.” The first response is to believe, not to figure out. What do I know of Holy? His ways are not my ways. His understanding is inscrutable. I know that part of me is wired to try to figure things out, to want to be theologically accurate. I want to spend more time on the front-end saying, “I believe,” and boldly asking God for His supernatural work in my life, in our church, in our city and the world.

What fears or insecurities hold you back or tempt you to figure things out on your own rather than dive in by faith?

1 comment:

Rocky Presley said...

Thanks for the post Neil. I blogged about this exact same thing when we were dealing with Julie's health issues. Here is the link if you would like to read, and of course, please discern if you want to approve the comment for the rest of your subscribers. Mainly I wanted to connect my story with yours since they are so similar.

http://worshipmerger.blogspot.com/2010/01/hoping-and-knowing.html

As you know, that story does have a happy ending. My wife had surgery last week, and the mass was completely benign and she will fully recover without the threat of future problems. God is good. He is faithful even though at times our faith is weak on a good day!