Thursday, January 21, 2010

Love: The force behind Jesus' call to us

Mark 10:21
Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”


Before Jesus tells the rich young ruler to go sell everything, Mark informs us that Jesus looked at him and loved him. I often imagined this story differently. I imagined the man walking away with Jesus longingly and lovingly looking at him. Jesus may have done that. However, this wasn’t just love that felt sad for them man as he walked away. This was loved that caused Jesus to say, “Go sell all that you have and come follow me.”

However difficult or dangerous Jesus’ call may seem, it is not born out of harshness but out of love. Jesus wanted this man to know the reality of “Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Jesus desire was not to lead the man to sadness but to blessedness. Oh, how He loves us!

When we pray, “Jesus, we want what you want,” know that whatever He asks, and wherever He leads, is born out of love.

LET’S PRAY TOGETHER
Jesus, help me to believe that in Your every leading and Your every command, Your perfect love is at work. I pray that perfect love will cast out fear in my life. I want to follow You fully and freely. Jesus, I want what You want.

No comments: