Thursday, January 28, 2010

What does Jeremiah call leaders who do not seek God?

For our leaders are stupid. They have not sought the Lord. So they do not act wisely, and the people they are responsible for have all been scattered. Jeremiah 10:21
He calls them stupid. Other translations say brutish, lost their senses, dull-hearted, and stupid as cattle. This is rather harsh especially when I consider that our mothers said that it isn’t polite to call people stupid. It seems that God puts aside politeness in his message to the leaders of Israel who did not seek him. What a sad commentary on the impact of their lack of seeking the LORD—they do not act wisely and the people they are responsible for have been scattered.

Frankly, this verse just scares me. It scares me when I see how easily I am distracted from seeking the LORD. I read the sports page carefully every morning I get a chance. There is always some good sports on TV especially with cable. It scares me when I think about the people I am responsible for. I scares me when I think of other places in the Word that talk about accountability for leaders. I don’t like the thought of being a dumb cow sitting at a desk figuring out what to preach on. If I was an artist, I would make a Far Side cartoon of church leaders all looking like cows sitting around making decisions thinking they are brilliant.

This passage also encourages me. It encourages when I realize I am not God and even if I was the smartest person in the world, the best leader, the greatest visionary, the most effective strategist there is no guarantee that the people of God would truly prosper. It encourages me knowing that the we have an option other than stupidity. Many verses contain unrestricted promises of God for those who seek him. Guarantees that he will give wisdom, he will be found, he will be strength, he will give joy, he will prosper. It is astounding.

Do I live as a man with this intense sense of calling from God that involves leading and seeking Him? Or am I casual about my business as shepherd—spending a little time in prayer and the scripture here and there, working my relationship with Him around a busy schedule like I do with the less important people in my life, making decisions by talking with friends for hours and sticking a one minute prayer on the front end or back end, constantly reading books and listening to seminars about leading but not going to the Source as if I really believe he has something “practical” to say about his flock? LORD Jesus Son of God have mercy on me a sinner.

Would you pray for me and our church leaders today?

4 comments:

Rocky Presley said...

I have had time to sit under some stupid leaders. Neil, you aren't one of them. Your very humility over the subject speaks of the wisdom that you bring to your calling. As an often stupid leader as well, I know and understand the weight that our decisions have on people's lives. Just last night I was a stupid leader, and had to humble myself and apologize for my shenanigans! It scares me as well, but I think that this is a healthy fear of God and at the very least a partial understanding of how our lives impact the Kingdom and the lives of others more than we will know until we reach Heaven.

Unknown said...

WOW Neil. That is powerful. That speaks to all of us since we are either leaders in our families or work in some capacity. Thanks for the vulnerability. I will be praying for all of our church leaders more diligently.

Neil said...

Thanks Rocky!

Neil said...

Thanks for you prayers Mark.