Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Jesus Got Up Early

Mark 1:35

Then Jesus got up early in the morning when it was still very dark, departed, and went out to a deserted place, and there he spent time in prayer.

I was reading this yesterday morning when it was still dark. It’s helpful to remember that Jesus was fully human. He had long days. He was surely tired yet found it needful and desirable to get up to meet with His Father. Even in meeting with God, He had real choices to make about getting up and making time just like us.

LET’S PRAY TOGETHER

Jesus, we are comforted that You know the weakness of our flesh. Help us as we endeavor to meet with You daily as we read Your Word. Open our eyes that we may see wonderful things in Your Word.

2 comments:

bekahbee7 said...

I think this is what challenged me the most as well. I may seem disciplined in some areas, but this is not one of them. I cannot get up early on a consistent basis. Unless I have a "responsibility" outside the home, I just stay in bed. I can come up with a dozen reasons why and some of them may have some validity, but overall, they fail. Shouldn't being with Jesus strongly outweigh anything else? It does most of the day... just not at 6 in the morning. Any suggestions on how to change this?

Neil said...

Bekahbee7,
One thing that has helped me is to notice how I have demonstrated the ability to go after earthly pleasures with focus and discipline. Things like athletics, even watching a mini series like "Band of Brothers", learning new things like riding a motorcycle, or even staying comfortable and warm. All of these tihngs required choices, time and neglect of something else.
Another thought: maybe a time other than the morning would be helpful in developing and strenghtening your taste for your time with God. Then after you have developed your delight if necessary you can start trying the morning. I like the morning because I am so easily distracted. However, the greater goal is placing myself in position where I can hear from God on a regular basis.