Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Colossians 3:3-4.
For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.

How was your time with the Lord today? That is a question I know many of us dread getting. Even if we are able to say, “Well, I did have time praying and reading my bible” most of the people I talk to would say that no sparks went off or they did not feel close to the Lord. One pitfall of sharing my thoughts and prayers with you a couple times a week is that it can inadvertently give off the sense that all of us should have some kind of mountain top experience with the Lord. I know you know that is not true but it still needs to be acknowledged. I know of no person in the Bible who had this. You might say Moses but don’t forget the 40 years in the desert tending sheep.

I recently made a six week commitment about my time with the Lord. The first nine days were great—then today hit. I should say last night hit. Allergy attack. I was tired. Other times I am distracted, depressed, discouraged, frustrated, rebellious, too busy, any number of things that I let hinder me from having this sense of really entering in. This morning I was making my attempt to read, observe, take notes and pray over Colossians 3. I did all of those things—a little. Most of the time I just sat, trying not to doze off, repeating over and over Colossians 3:3-4. That simple. That ordinary.

Prayer
Father, thank You that my relationship with You starts with Christ, is presently held together by Christ, and will end in glory with Christ. Thank You for loving me because You love me. Thank You that because my life is hidden with Christ there is nothing I can do to be more pleasing to You. Thank You that when everything is said and done, I will be in glory face to face with Jesus! May I rest in Your love when I am on feel on top of the world or being crushed under it. In Jesus Name, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the devotional today! Thanks for the reminder...to have one and of the grace in living it out. I loved your prayer...the reminder that He loves me and accepts me and nothing I can do will make him love me or accept me more. Very freeing! Thank you, God, for loving me and being ever so patient with me! Like the prodigal son, you are waiting for me to return to you - understanding that there is nothing I can do to earn your love. It is freely given...and the way to life is not through my performance but in just being with you. Help me know how to be with you, rest in you and abide in you so that YOU are the one who does immeasurably more in me than I could ever ask or imagine. In your loving name, Amen