Monday, August 24, 2009

I took this picture two years ago from top of Mt. Elbert, the highest mountain in Colorado.
There he was transfigured before them. His clothes became dazzling white, whiter than anyone in the world could bleach them…Then a cloud appeared and enveloped them, and a voice came from the cloud: “This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!” Mark 9:2,3,7

Have you ever had a mountaintop experience? What was it like? Peter, James, and John saw Jesus totally transformed, clothes whiter than anyone in the world could bleach them. You get the sense that words can't explain it. Maybe you feel the same about your mountaintop experience. They were also enveloped by the cloud. Throughout the Old Testament, the cloud was the manifestation of the presence of God to His people. Of all the things the Father could have said in that moment, of all the things the disciples could have heard, felt and experienced, the Father says, “This is my beloved son.” When Peter, James, and John got a taste of glory, they got a special taste of the love of the Godhead!

Although I haven’t had quite the experience of those three disciples, God has given me some mountaintop experiences where I truly sensed, experienced, and felt His love in a special way. After those moments, I expected to be so radically transformed that I would not struggle anymore or at least struggles would diminish significantly and everyone would say, “Wow you have changed! You’re amazingly like Jesus!” Never happened.

The very next thing Mark records is life back on the everyday playing field. Arguments, Pharisees, a demon possessed boy, a helpless father. You know the place. The place where spouses argue, parents struggle to connect with their kids, employees grind against authority, churches frustrate their members, believers fail to live like Jesus…you get the picture. So what do we do? One, we take encouragement from the mountaintop that God loves us and one day will string together an eternity of mountaintop experiences. Two, don’t waste your time trying to keep it or recapture it. It will just become a dumb idol that breaks your heart. Three, come to Jesus like the father of the demon possessed boy and admit your complete helplessness. It really is the way to access His power and joy in the ordinary life.
Prayer
Holy Spirit, thank You for the times I have uniquely tasted the love of God. I am sorry for the times I have missed because I did not stop, wait and listen. Strengthen me to deeply know how wide and long and high and deep is Jesus’ love for me. I want to taste the glory! I want to know the fullness of God. I need divine encouragement. Jesus, I admit that I am totally helpless without You. Protect me from my foolish pride that moves into relationships, work, my daily duties, church activities and so many other activities without coming to You in prayer. I want to live in the power and joy of a life desperately, dependent on You. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

PS. Tell us where you have had a mountain top experience with the Lord?

3 comments:

bekahbee7 said...

Just wanted to say thanks for reiterating your sermons on your blog/facebook throughout the week. It really helps to keep dwelling on it and applying it when I keep reading it.

As for mountaintop experiences, I had a bit of one last weekend when God was just showing me the path before me. I felt so close to Him, so in love with Him, and just wanted to be with Him. As the week went on, that absolutely faded and I spent so much time wishing I were still there. Timely sermon :)

dhoffmann1124 said...

Sometimes my "mountain top" experiences (the presence of God) have been in the deepest, darkest valleys of my life. I try to remember these times and the lesson by memorizing an applicable Bible verse or making a simple "memorial" to God. Without these, I am prone to forget.

Neil said...

dhoffmann1124,
How mysterious and amazing is God who works all things together for the good of those who love Him!