Monday, August 17, 2009

Do I really want what Jesus wants?

Mark 9:31,34
31 He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again…
34 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.


Peter had just confessed that Jesus was the Christ—the long awaited King of all kings who would set all things right. And Peter was on the inside. I wonder what he expected he would soon gain by being on the right side: the comfort of a palace, control over some Romans soldiers, the convenience of having some servants, or the freedom to become a consumer of all the best the world has to offer? To hear the Son of Man must suffer was stupefying.

Peter, like us, not only had to learn that Jesus is a King on a cross but that Jesus’ followers go to a cross. This Sunday I said that doing what Jesus wants involves a no and a yes. Denying yourself means saying no at times to comfort, convenience, control, and consumerism. Taking up your cross means saying yes to whatever Jesus wants (even when it doesn’t make sense). That simple yet so very difficult.

I am thankful that Jesus follows this with statements like “whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it.” I need the encouragement.

Prayer:
Jesus, help me to want what You want. I confess that at the first taste of discomfort, inconvenience, lack of control, or challenge to give I react with second guessing, complaining, asking why, and a number of other selfish responses. I do not want to waste my life. I do not want to come to the end with a chest full of stuff that moths and rust are feeding on. I want to experience the joyful adventure of stumbling to a throne by way of death with You. I also confess the idea is as scary as it is thrilling. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak! Holy Spirit, show me where I am to say no and to say yes that I might do what Jesus wants.


P.S.
I really think it would encourage others if you would share what a “no” and a “yes” to do what Jesus wants means for you. You can do this with the comment function.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Saying "no" to the worry and anxiety that comes from being unable to control life; saying "yes" to that glorious freedom through faith that God is in control and will see me through to the end.

Glen Sale said...

Awesome sermon on Sunday! It has caused me to pray everyday asking God to “help me want what you want.”

There’s an old hymn that goes like this:

It may not be on the mountain’s height, or over the stormy sea;
It may not be at the battle’s front my Lord will have need of me;

But if by a still, small voice He calls to paths I do not know,
I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in Yours, I’ll go where You want me to go.

Refrain
I’ll go where You want me to go, dear Lord,
Over mountain, or plain, or sea;
I’ll say what You want me to say, dear Lord,
I’ll be what You want me to be.

Perhaps today there are loving words which Jesus would have me speak;
There may be now, in the paths of sin, some wanderer whom I should seek.

O Savior, if You will be my Guide, though dark and rugged the way,
My voice shall echo the message sweet, I’ll say what You want me to say.

There’s surely somewhere a lowly place in earth’s harvest fields so wide,
Where I may labor through life’s short day for Jesus, the Crucified.

So, trusting my all unto Your care, I know You always love me!
I’ll do Your will with a heart sincere,
I’ll be what You want me to be.

…Very old words, but timeless principles.

And speaking of songs, I can’t remember if I mentioned to you how much I appreciate the music that Travis and his talented team does every Sunday. Their effort significantly enhances the worship experience for me. Travis does a nice mix and does a good job incorporating some of the older hymns. He also has effective transitions. I have spoken with several others in my “age bracket” who also enjoy the music very much.

When I was on the elder board, my focus was the morning worship service. I had a committee that often wrestled with the worship music. In fact one committee member, Dr. Bob Pyne, Professor of Theological Studies at DTS, had written a paper on it that we discussed. I have concluded that there will always be a degree of misunderstanding between advocates of “traditional” music and those who favor “contemporary” music. In the business world there is the philosophy that you “change or die;” and perhaps this is true of churches. But alas there will always be those who bridle against change, and that’s something we must accept, knowing that worship styles are not nearly as important to God as the fact of worship itself.

Cynthia said...

Saying "no" to what I think my life is supposed to look like for my stage of life, and "yes" to thankfulness to God for the reality He has created for my life TODAY & leaving tomorrow in His hands.