Monday, August 10, 2009

Dinner for Two

Reflections from Revelation 3.14-22

From Matt Dumas, Minister of Equipping, and while Neil is out.

The folks in the church at Laodicea had everything going for them. They lived in a wealthy city, well-known for its clothing industry and school of medicine. Seemingly the only thing the city lacked was a natural water source. Just north of the city in Hierapolis were hot springs known for their medicinal qualities. South of city there were cold water springs refreshing to drink. In order to get water into the city, the people constructed stone pipes to carry water from the cold water springs into the city. Although the water was cold at its source, during the hotter months the water would be warmed by the pipes and become lukewarm by the time it reached the city. When Jesus confronts the church of Laodicea, He confronts their lukewarmness. They were neither hot (picturing the healing properties of the hot springs) nor cold (picturing the refreshment of the cold springs), but like the water in the stone pipes, they had become lukewarm – they had become like the culture around them. So Jesus rebukes their self-sufficiency and self-righteousness and invites them back into fellowship with Him.

I am afraid that my life too often mirrors that of the Laodiceans. I can be very self-righteous and self-sufficient at times. I too like to appear to have it all together. Jesus is often an afterthought as I go about my daily routine. What about you? Do you find yourself in that comfortable place where you really don’t need Jesus in your day-to-day life? Is it hard to distinguish your lifestyle from that of your non-believing friends? When was the last time you had a good talk with Jesus? He’s still knocking, waiting for a dinner for two.

Jesus, forgive me for pretending that I can live the Christian life in my own strength. I pray for a desperate hunger, a thirst for righteousness that can only be satisfied in you. To the best of my ability, I want to invite You to come in and dine with me. May we as a people be ever aware of our need for You. Jesus, make us to want what you want. Amen.

No comments: