Friday, August 28, 2009

A thought and prayer for all the performance junkies: fight for freedom.

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1 (NIV)

This week I have been meditating on the book of Galatians. When it comes to the gospel, Paul is a freedom fighter. The Galatians were in danger of being enslaved to the Mosaic law. They were being prodded, pulled and coerced into a life of work to gain a righteousness before God, others and themselves.

Although I am not tempted or pulled to seek righteousness from the Mosaic law, I often am looking to other things to feel good before God, others, and myself instead of the work of Jesus. It is so subtle that I often don’t even notice it. This comes out in things that “I ought to” or “I should” or “I need to.” However, when I pay attention to my feelings and listen to God, I notice the pressure, tension, and sometimes anger as my attempts at righteousness are blocked or thwarted. This week I have been keeping a list of the “burdens and yoke of slavery” I put myself under.

Here are a few of mine I wrote over the course of this week:
· If I get up at 6 a.m. I feel better about myself than if I get up at 7 a.m. I didn’t get up until 7 a.m. on Wednesday. Bad deal especially when I was supposed to meet with an elder for breakfast.
· I feel better about myself when I am “productive.” Work was highly valued for me growing up. I think I am a productivity addict.
· If I was really like Jesus I “should” work with people, help people, deal with their issues without ever having conflict or them getting upset.

PRAYER
Jesus, I acknowledge that there is nothing I have ever done or will do that will make me any more pleasing or less pleasing in the eyes of God. I confess there is a pride at work in me that still wants to prove myself before You and others. There is something in me that wants to say, “Look what I did,” and “I did it, I am good!” I recognize that the “ought to’s” and the “should’s” are hard task masters in my life. Help me to see this and repent. I want to know the reality that it is no longer I who lives but Christ lives in me and the life that I now live in the flesh I live by faith in You. You are not a hard taskmaster. You love me and delivered Yourself up for me. May I rest in You. Thank You, Jesus.

PS
What are your “ought to’s/need to’s/should’s” that are yokes of slavery?

3 comments:

redspw said...

Amen to that! I think my issues have been based on thinking I needed to acheive and succeed in whatever I did...that was what I learned growing up. When I became a Christian, I still hung on to it. I "should" strive to be the person Jesus wants. I ought to do more....pretty soon I became stressed out trying to self-sanctify. Learning that the Lord loves me, accepts me and approves of me just as I am has been incredibly freeing. Now I am realizing that the He is the one who does the work in me (Eph 3:19-21 and Psalm 128:8). I just have to keep my eyes focused on Him, resting and trusting in Him...moment by moment, day by day!

dhoffmann1124 said...

Feeling like I should post a spiritually significant response to every one of your blogs (including this response!)

Neil said...

dhoffman1124,
I am smiling at your comment. It is amazing how at every turn my flesh want to wave the flag of self achievement and scream to the world, "Look how I matter!"...even in a little thing like commenting on a blog...or writing a blog. Smile again.
Neil