Wednesday, October 14, 2009

GOD IS PRESENT AND GOES BEFORE ME

Bible Verse:
The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.
Deuteronomy 31:8 (NIV)

Devotional:
As a mother of two preschool children, I find myself actively encouraging my little ones to try new things, to explore the world around them, and even to get back up when they fall down. Just being by their side is likely the greatest source of their comfort and confidence at this point in their lives. When you are two, I imagine there are not many constants, so I can easily see the importance of reassuring them that I’m here for them, and I’ll always be cheering them on. This perspective encourages me to remember God’s active presence in my life. In all that I do, in all that I am, God goes before me and is present with me.

When I read the words first spoken to Joshua by Moses, I wonder how his perspective was being shaped in knowing the Lord would go before him. Joshua was stepping into a rather significant role and faced a daunting leadership task. “Do not be afraid. Do not be discouraged. The Lord himself will go before you and He won’t leave you.” Joshua would hear this same message again, directly from the Lord, and leave for us an example of how the Lord was indeed going before him and remained faithfully with Joshua as he led the nation of Israel across the Jordan into the Promised Land.

As we step into unknown territory, whether in a campaign to expand our physical church or taking a step of faith to trust the Lord with an intimate area of our life, we must trust that God goes before us. As we face the struggles of this world, God goes before us. As we stumble and fall, perhaps for a second or third time, God quietly says, “Do not be discouraged, for I am with you.”

Prayer:
Lord, thank You for Your presence in my life. As I face today, I pray I would face it with the confidence that only You provide. Lord, let my confidence in You be an encouragement to others and embolden me to be faithful to You. Oh, how fortunate I am to be Your child. Would You steer me to lean on You as I depend on Your presence. Show me the things that I fear so that I might turn them over to You. Show me how to follow the way You provide. Knowing that You go before me, I want to faithfully follow.


Written by Misty Persefield. Misty and John have attended Northwest for 11 years. They have two children: Holden (3) and Madeleine (2).

No comments: