Tuesday, October 13, 2009

OVERCOMING GIANTS

Bible Verse:
“I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” Mark 10:15 (NIV)


“Be very careful, then, how you live — not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.” Ephesians 5:15-17 (NIV)


Devotional:
Many of you have read a Chuck Swindoll book called “Killing Giants, Pulling Thorns” and I think that this is a good description of how we go about spiritual formation.

Giants are the beasts that come to us — so big, so terrorizing that they block out our reason and leave us shaking and despondent. Thorns are the smaller obstacles that must be overcome regularly in our everyday living. There have been questions raised as to why we would consider undertaking a $12 million construction program, with the world and economic conditions being what they are today. A real “Giant” to overcome!

In my opinion the main issue in our facilities expansion is the construction of the children’s ministry areas. Children are not peripheral to His kingdom, but vital to it. Christ told us of the importance of children to His kingdom in Mark 10:14-15.

How do we overcome our “Giants”?

When I first became aware of the urgency of the needs of the facilities that we have for our children’s ministry, I was greatly burdened. I was burdened about the lack of space for them, the inadequacy of it, and the state of the economy. Each issue was a “Giant.”

Ephesians 5:15-17 reveals to us God’s message as to how to deal with these things. God has given the elders the courage to take the first step of following His will by proceeding with the master plan for our facilities, as well as incorporating schematic plans for the immediate improvement of our children ministry facilities. As we take the next steps, I believe He will reveal His on-going will related to His providing the funds and other means to undertake the construction program. God has the answer to overcome. He will guide us if we but listen to Him and seek His will. What a joy it will be to see Him lead us to accomplish the work set before us!

Prayer:
Lord, sometimes I face challenges that leave me feeling inadequate and afraid. When I am fearful, let me see Your strength. When I am anxious, give me faith. Keep me mindful, Lord, that You are my God. With You by my side, I have nothing to fear. With You, I can overcome the giants that come into my life. Without You, I can do nothing. Lead me in the paths of good stewardship of those things You have entrusted to me. Show me Your will for my life and for the plans You have for me and Your church. Help me to be Your courageous servant this day and every day. In the name of Jesus, Amen.


Written by Doug Williams. Doug and Nancy have attended Northwest for 27 years.

1 comment:

joyfuliving said...

my hubby and i are fairly new {4 months} to town and have been attending nwb for that time. i just have to say that on sunday, the *kid* {we couldn't decide how old he was} who totally rocked the vocals during offering made the angels themselves bust a move. i'm just sayin'. he was Awe-some! please pass that on. :)

thx - beth and jacob