Thursday, October 08, 2009

LORD, TEACH US TO LOVE

Bible Verse:
And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ — to the glory and praise of God.
Philippians 1:9-11 (NIV)

Devotional:
Paul prayed that the Philippians would be a community of believers who were increasingly characterized by love. Paul knew that the Philippians possessed love because he had been a recipient of their love, but he also recognized that there was still room for their love to grow. An ever-increasing love, which was guided by knowledge and insight, would enable them to recognize and act upon the most important issues in life. They would become spiritually mature people who were morally pure, not causing others to stumble, and allowing Christ to produce good fruit in their lives. As a result, God would be glorified and praised among them.

What was true for the Philippians is also true for us today, both as individuals and as a body of believers. As we read through the New Testament, we cannot help but see that love is a characteristic which is near and dear to the heart of Christ. As I examine my own life, I ask myself several questions: Is my life characterized by an ever-increasing love that has no limit to its growth? Does my love look like a drippy faucet or Niagara Falls? When making decisions, am I motivated by my own self-interests or do I consider the interests of others? Do I promote reconciliation and unity? Is my attitude one of humility or pride? Are my choices hindering the spiritual growth of others and myself? Are my words and actions beneficial to others?

During this time of prayer at Northwest Bible Church, let us look beyond a building program and ask the Lord to use this period of time in our lives to increase our love. Of course, we have love — but like the Philippians, there is still room for our love to grow! May Northwest Bible Church be known as a community of believers characterized by love.

Prayer:
As you meditate on Paul’s prayer, ask the Lord to reveal to you areas where He wants your love to increase toward family, friends, strangers, and even your enemies. Ask the Lord to teach you to love. To God be all praise and glory.


Written by Laurie Ledbetter. Laurie and Terry have attended Northwest for 19 years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

O Lord, help us love the way you do. Help us let go of our pride and what we want and fully trust you. Help us live a life of humility so that we operate out of your Spirit and not out of our flesh - seeking what is best for the body, not ourselves. Lord, I admit it is hard to let go and trust you. It is hard to let go of my ways and the ways I think things should be done. Forgive me for thinking that "I" know. Help the body of Northwest Bible throw off everything that hinders us and run the race you have set before us. Help us come together in unity, in love, and in trust of our All-Loving, Redeeming Savior.
In your most precious name, Amen