Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Nasty Little Snake


Matthew 6:13
But deliver us from the evil one.


I found this small snake yesterday. It was about 15 inches long and very aggressive. He obviously did not want his picture taken. Someone informed me that this is a poisonous snake. I haven’t researched to verify the facts but let's just go with it. It made me think of Satan who seeks to kill, steal, and destroy. We know that Jesus defeated Satan at the cross and through the resurrection. We know that compared to the infinite, eternal Jesus; Satan is a small created being. We also know that Satan is still an aggressive and dangerous foe. He seeks to wreak havoc in our world, our personal lives, and in our church. Often in our Bible Church tradition, we don’t talk much about the spiritual battle or Satan. I think in part this stems from a reaction to those who see Satan behind every bush. I also think it stems from the pride of being modern, educated people who are “past” such things. Yet, when Jesus teaches His followers to pray, He gives instruction on prayer concerning Satan and evil. When was the last time you prayed in reference to the spiritual battle the Bible speaks about?

Prayer:
Jesus, forgive me for directly disobeying Your instructions on prayer. Jesus, forgive me for my foolish pride that blinds me to real, unseen forces that are working against us. Jesus forgive me for thinking I can dabble with sin and get close to evil without being severely injured. Jesus, I confess that Satan is a real being who seeks to steal, kill and destroy. Jesus, thank You that I can live confidently knowing Your Word says, “greater is He who is in you, than he who is in the world.” Knowing these things I ask that in (pick a specific situation where Satan maybe on the attack i.e. a difficult or painful situation, temptation to sin, an area of pride, a relational struggle, etc.) You woud deliver me from the evil one. I am desperately, dependent on You this day.

Pray this for yourself and five other people today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for these reminders of Truth and for encouraging us to continue to seek victory in Christ! Lifting you and others up in this battle.

Ina said...

Neil, your "Golden Calf" blog was so thought provoking I think it'll be awhile before I can respond; this one resonates so much with me and the blitzkreig the enemy recently launched in my life. I tend to forget his part! The phrase "our Bible Church tradition" also grabs my attention. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and walk (and for yesterday's video, too!)