Thursday, July 16, 2009

“When the Israelites would have a golden calf for a representation of God, they would dedicate their jewels, and strip their wives and children of their richest ornaments, to show their devotion. Shall men serve their dumb idols with the best of their substance, and the strength of their souls; and shall the living God have a duller service from us, than idols had from them.”
The Existence and Attributes of God, Stephen Charnock

Proverbs 3:9
Honor the Lord from your wealth
And from the first of all your produce…


In Israel honoring the LORD from the first and best of crops and animals was a way to worship and express gratitude for all God’s provisions. On a regular basis God condemned the Isrealites through the prophets for their half-hearted worship. It is clear that God’s people cannot give to our great King anything too good. Charnock challenges me that it is unbecoming to the majesty of God to give myself fully to other things and not give my very best in worship to Him. An eternal, infinite God deserves affections as near to unbounded as we can muster. I don’t even feel close to this.

Great King of Heaven, again I ask You to wake my heart to have a deeper, greater vision of You. It seems that I ask for this a lot. Give me the intense desire for You that I have for the things of the world. Holy Spirit help me to worship the LORD God and serve Him only. I confess that I regularly give the best of myself to all sorts of other interests, people and pleasures. Help me to do this as I go about the everyday activities of my life. Give me understanding to what this means in my everyday activities. Great King of Heaven, You are worthy!

Pray this for yourself and five others.

No comments: