Saturday, July 25, 2009

Unplugging for two weeks…


I really like my computer. I take it everywhere—on mission trips, vacations, trips to the lake, etc. I check the weather and news. I keep up with the Tour De France. All my bible study materials are on my computer. I now keep up with email, facebook, and twitter on my computer. When I didn’t have cell phone service in Colorado a few weeks ago, I skyped. These are great tools for connecting with people. I look forward to how we will use them more at Northwest Bible this fall to enhance communication. However, we all know there are downsides. For me, it can’t and won’t replace face-to-face communication. Also, this stay-connected-anywhere computer can be a distraction to finding silence and rest. It can also keep us from focusing on the relationships at hand. As I get ready to spend the next two weeks with Natalie and Stephanie at a father/daughter camp, I am leaving my computer behind and unplugging. Scary. I really like my computer. What does this mean? I will not be checking email or facebook. I will not be blogging or twittering. Matt Dumas will continue to blog on Mondays and someone will be checking my facebook and email for me. See you on the other side.

P.S.

I am really looking forward to be back at Northwest in two weeks.

3 comments:

Travis Jones said...

Enjoy your time with the girls! See you on the other side.

Sandy Stephens said...

The tan looks good one you! Glad you are enjoying your time off!

I would have a hard time giving up my cell phone, just for safety reasons.

I don't have a laptop, so am confined to home for computer usage, which helps. But since getting on Facebook, I understand about it being a distraction. While it is incredibly fun, it is time consuming and hard to walk away from!

I also prefer face-to-face communication, and actual phone calls, but feel that is seen more and more as "old school stuff" do finally got on Facebook. I now have lots of connections, but would prefer a more personal way.

Have a wonderful time with your daughters!

Anonymous said...

Unplugging is very healthy. I hope that your time with your daughters is a huge blessing! Looking forward to having you back too!