Sunday, June 07, 2009

As we prepare to gather as a body of believers tomorrow let’s pray in light of Titus 3:5-7. Tomorrow we are going to talk about the importance of seeing our self righteousness so that we might live in joy and be free to actively love a lost and broken world.

Titus 3:5-7
5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Thanksgiving:
Father, thank You for saving me from evil deeds. Thank You for saving me from my total lack of holiness in my good deeds apart from Jesus. Thank You for smiling on me because of the righteousness of Jesus. Thank You that the Holy Spirit has given me a new heart and a new life. Thank You that the full measure of the Spirit has been given to me through Jesus. Thank You that I have inherited an eternal life far greater than anything I can imagine.

Reflection:
Holy Spirit reveal to me where I take pride in my own good deeds. Reveal to me how I put my trust in my own good deeds. Reveal to me how my comparison to others exposes my trust in my own accomplishments, status and moral record.
(Make a list of anything he reveals to you).

Confession:
I confess that my good deeds are like filthy rags before Your holiness. Forgive me for trying to earn Your smile. How foolish and faithless. I already have it fully in Christ!

Supplication:
Father, I ask for myself and my brothers and sisters in the body of Jesus that we will experience rest this Sunday because of the finished work of Christ. I pray that we will experience courageous joy knowing we have nothing to prove to You, ourselves, or our friends. I pray that You would free us from looking down our noses at others so that we might actively love a lost and broken world.

Thanks for joining us in prayer,
Neil

No comments: