Friday, June 12, 2009

Praying the beatitudes pushes me to pray some of the most challenging of prayers. On some of these you may want to add, “HELP ME, JESUS!” Praying these is also great for bringing forth repentance.

Matthew 5:3-12
3Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus, I am desperate. I am lousy at playing God.

4Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Jesus, I confess in trying to be God, I have sinned and inflicted pain on others and myself.

5Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.

Jesus, I need to grow in dependence. I will quit trying to be God by turning my life and will over to the care of God.

6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

Jesus, I want to align myself with You. I want to want what You want.

7Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.

Jesus, You are caring. I will look past my own needs and pain to care for the needs and pains of others, even at severe cost to myself.

8Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

Jesus, You value singleness of heart. I am willing to see the enemies of God in my heart and I am willing for You to remove them.

9Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Jesus, I want to value oneness among Your people as You do. I will offer forgiveness to those who have hurt me, and I will seek forgiveness and make amends where appropriate for the harm I have done to others.

10Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus, You value taking losses for Your kingdom. Because You are worth it all, I am all in with You.

Pray this for yourself and two others.

Thanks for joining us in prayer,
Neil

No comments: