Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ephesians 3:17-21
17…And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.


I have often heard vs. 17-19 and vs. 20-21 prayed separately…by me! I rarely hear these prayed or even quoted together. For several months I have not been able to think about 20-21 apart from 17-19. Paul’s hope for God to do unbelievable things in and for His people rises as he considers us filled to the fullness of God by His love through Jesus. Love is not just for those we consider emotional, weak, or needy. Love is God’s power in us to cast out fear, to believe all things, to hope all things, to lay down a life for a friend, to love the children of God, to abide in the light, to keep me from being nothing, to keep His commandments. The Scripture constantly ties together love and power. I haven’t linked these verses because I don’t really see God’s love as power. Question: How often—when you are feeling weak, afraid, struggling in relationship, tempted to sin, needing a miracle—do you first think, “I need more of Jesus’ love?”

Father, sometimes I feel awkward even trying to talk about love, which is sad since perfect love casts out fear. I am painfully aware of my feeble efforts to extend love to those closest to me. Jesus, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Help me die to the feeling of failure when I consider all whom I have not loved well. Help me die to the desire even to try to measure my love. I come to You knowing I need Your love; mine is always deficient. I need the love of Jesus to fill me or I will never love the people You bring my way immeasurably more than I can imagine. Help me to see this love in Your creation, through Your people, according to Your Word and at the cross of Jesus. Fill me with Your love so that You might be glorified!

Pray this for yourself and five friends.

May God be glorified,
Neil

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've prayed these verses separately too. So much more powerful when prayed together. And I need them to give me His power for energy to do what I know I should do, to love how I should love.

Anonymous said...

After today's prayer, this thought occurs to me...Is "love" synonomous with "grace"? Could these two words be used interchangably? When we see "God's GRACE is sufficient" could that also read "God's LOVE is sufficient"? Are love, grace and "power" truly one and the same? Hmm..."God's POWER is sufficient"...I suppose the roots or original Greek/Hebrew would give us a clue. Interesting consideration that speaks to me with a longing for what it could mean to need more of Jesus' love.

Beth M said...

One word really stuck out to me this time... together with all the saints. Too often I isolate and can't sense His presence-- I need others to struggle with me. To remind me of this truth, and to reflect His glory back to me!