Sunday, June 28, 2009

Through the Windshield: The Road Ahead

Deuteronomy 2:7
7 The Lord your God has blessed you in all the work of your hands. He has watched over your journey through this vast desert. These forty years the Lord your God has been with you, and you have not lacked anything.


On the way to Colorado yesterday, Sheree and I were meditating on this verse together. As we were looking at long stretches of road in West Texas, New Mexico and Colorado, my mind was drawn to the Israelites wanderings in the desert. I do so much to prepare for a 13 hour trip to Creede, Colorado. I pack plenty of food and water. I even have the GPS coordinates downloaded onto my phone. In 13 hours, we traveled well over 800 miles. I was struck by the staggering nature of the miracle God perform when he led the Israelites in the desert for 40 years when I read Deuteronomy 2:7. As an enjoyer of modern technology, I can read these stories as if they are no big deal. A question rose up in me, do I believe God could see me through anything? And not only that, do I really believe God could see my family and friends and my church through their own deserts? Sometimes it is really painful to me to stand and watch others journey through the desert. And it's really hard for me to trust God on their behalf.

PRAYER
I believe that you are a God who blesses your people. I admit that it is often very hard for me to see or understand Your blessing. I believe that You are God who watches over Your people. I admit that I often live as though You are reluctant to look my way. I believe that You are a God, who uses the deserts to make us complete. I admit that joy does not come easily for me in these times. I believe that You are a God, who does not leave us or forsake us. I admit that I often miss the tangible evidence of this truth all around me and at the cross of Jesus.

4 comments:

redspw said...

Your comment on twitter really hit me this morning as I received it as a text...Do I really trust God with my journey (and my kids' journeys) or do I feel it is my responsibility to manage/worry/control my/their journey. How much am I willing to surrender? Do I trust that the Lord will use everything, even the hardships and troubles? Do I trust that He will reveal His will and guide us? Lord, help me keep my eyes completely focused on you; help me abide in you (trust in you); and help me rest in you so that peace and joy will reign instead of worry, anxiety and fear. There is a lot of freedom in letting go and realizing that HE is the one in control.

Kristen said...

This post made me reflect on how much we plan and plot and prepare for the little moments on a much larger journey, mostly ignoring what He has already set before us.

Lord, let me surrender all to you! Let all fears and strivings cease save my striving to know you more.You have seen me through greater stretches of hardship than this. You have set a path before me. Give me courage and faith to keep walking with you.

Anonymous said...

thats really encouraging. i know where you're coming from.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for blogging and keeping in touch! "Do I believe God could see me through anything?" At this moment..yes in my head and no in my heart. Thanking God for your vulnerability to share that you struggle with trusting our Lord with His body of believers that you so faithfully lead. I too, struggle with trusting Him, esp. with my life. It is easier for me to trust Him with other's lives.

Zephaniah 3:17 "The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing."

Grateful you and Sheree arrived safely.

In Him,