Tuesday, June 30, 2009

“You Are the Christ!”

Reflections from Mark 8.22-38, by Matt Dumas

In the villages of Caesarea Philippi, in view of the city whose name reflects the belief that Caesar is lord…that he is a god to be worshipped, Jesus asks His disciples a probing question: “Who do people say that I am?” Why does Jesus ask this question? Is He really concerned about public opinion? No…He asks the question for the benefit of the disciples. Because ultimately He wants to know, “Who do you say that I am?”

Many of us are like Peter…at one moment we are able to proclaim, “You are the Christ!” And know that He is fully God and fully Man. And in the next we say something foolish showing ourselves and others just how far we have to go on our journey to Christlikeness. Like the blind man whom Jesus heals in stages (vv. 22-26), so too our understanding of who Jesus is a gradual process full of fits and starts. It begins with childlike (and sometimes) childish faith, but as the Spirit moves and causes us to grow we begin to see change…albeit slow and painful at times until one day we will see Him face to face and be like Him because we will see Him as He is.

God of all glory and Father of lights, give me the patience and persistence it takes to make progress in the Christian life. Help me to strive according to Your power that is mightily at work within me, and not according to my own strength. Thank You for the flashes of insight that You give that allow me to know Your Son more. Forgive me for my life of shortsightedness and brashness in thinking I know better than you. May I know Your grace and peace in abundance this day. In the strong name of Jesus. Amen..

No comments: