Monday, June 22, 2009

Deuteronomy 8:3
3 He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.

Holy Spirit, reinforce those things we talked about yesterday in our gathering together as body of believers. Help us to have the courage to be honest with ourselves, You, and others about the hungers of our heart that drive us, lead us to sin, and create compulsions. Help us to see the pain we create for ourselves and others in not taking our hungers to Jesus. Help us to see that behind every desire is our need to make Jesus the Living Word our ultimate food. We confess that Jesus alone satisfies. Give us a vision for how our life would look differently if we lived with a greater awareness of this truth. Sober us with the reality of the hungers of the whole world. We look to You this week to open doors to share with others about how we are taking our hunger to Jesus. Jesus, You are the Bread of Life!

After praying this for “us” as a church, pray for yourself and some friends.

Thankful for joining us in prayer,
Neil

2 comments:

redspw said...

When figuring out what I hunger for...I had to go back to my childhood to see what my family valued...achievement, success, leadership. I thought my significance was found in them. The Lord has really been showing me that He is my significance and that all of those things are just filthy rags - meaningingless. Lord, thank you for your mercy and grace. Help me let go of the those things that hinder me so I can run the race YOU have designed for me.

Neil said...

Thank you for this insightful comment. I was talking with someone the other day who said they were having difficulty figuring out what they hunger for. I have talked with people many times about their soul hunger. I have talked with people lots of times about family influence. However, I had not talked about family influence when using this idea of hunger. Thanks.